Contenido principal del artículo
AutoresEffi Lambropoulou Solano Bárcenas
The article refers to the circumstances of female prisoners in Greece after 1980 and the next decades, taking into account the UN Bangkok Rules of 2010.
The findings are mainly based on national and European statistics, watchdogs’ reports, as well as press releases and strategy plans of prison officers’ and prosecutors’ unions.
According to our findings, women have slightly higher crime rates at younger ages than in the past, and generally the type of crimes they commit has changed.
As for the prison organization and living conditions of female prisoners, the main problems are the unequal division of personnel in the two prisons examined, the chronic understaffing of specialized and healthcare personnel, the poor training and pessimistic attitudes of prison officers, and the inadequate operation of training and education programmes connected to their reintegration. However, the greatest challenges in today’s correctional facilities is security and the prevalence of narcotics in the prison. Therefore, advanced security systems, as well as discreet surveillance and body scanning are absolutely necessary to prevent the contraband.
Prison authorities and the Ministry of Justice are aware of the gender specific issues and sensitive to these. What is missing is a radical reform of prison management and modernisation in the whole correctional system of the country without abandoning its leniency and boosting the confidence of the staff in order to help them support the prisoners.
Moreover, there is still time for the organisation and promotion of an “early warning system” in order to stop an increase in females’ criminality and their rates in prison population.
Detalles del artículo
DERECHOS RESERVADOS DE AUTOR
Todo documento incluido en la revista puede ser reproducido total o parcialmente, siempre y cuando se respete su contenido original, se cite la fuente y se use con fines académicos no comerciales. Misión Jurídica y su contenido se encuentra protegido bajo una Licencia Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivar 4.0 Internacional.
Misión Jurídica por Misión Jurídica se distribuye bajo una Licencia Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivar 4.0 Internacional.
Basada en una obra en http://unicolmayor.edu.co/publicaciones/index.php/mjuridica/index.
Permisos que vayan más allá de lo cubierto por esta licencia pueden encontrarse en http://unicolmayor.edu.co/publicaciones/index.php/mjuridica/index.
profiles of prisoners in the Judicial Prison of Korydallos: Differences between Greek and foreign prisoners, Unpublished work presented at the Central Scientific Council of Prisons/Ministry of Justice as a service report. Piraeus: Judicial Prison of Korydallos.*
• Aebi, M.F. & Delgrande, N. (2012, March 23). Annual Penal Statistics: SPACE I – 2010, CoE PC-CP (2012)1. Strasbourg: CoE.
• Anagnostopoulos,I.(2013).Untersuchungshaft und Verfahrensbeschleunigung. Das Beispiel Griechenlands. Strafverteidiger Forum 11,
• Aebi, M.F. & Delgrande, N. (2013, May 3). 453-457.
Annual Penal Statistics: SPACE I – 2011, CoE
• Androulakis, I. (2003). Standards of fair criminal trial (according to Art. 6 ECHR). Athens: P.N. Sakkoulas.*
PC-CP (2013)5. Strasbourg: CoE.
• Aebi, M.F. & Delgrande, N. (2014, April 28).
Annual Penal Statistics, SPACE I – 2012, Prison populations. Survey 2012, CoE PC-CP (2014)5. Strasbourg: CoE.
• Androulakis, N. (1974). The survival of 'suspicion sentences' and the repeal enforcement control of the principle in 'dubio pro reo' during the phases of criminal trial process. Poinika Chronika 24 (1), 165-173.*
• Aebi, M.F. & Delgrande, N. (2014, December 15). Annual Penal Statistics, SPACE I – 2013, Prison Populations, Survey 2013, Final report, CoE PC-CP (2014)11. Strasbourg: CoE.
• Androulakis, N. (1994). Fundamental principles of criminal trial process, 2nd edn. Athens, Komotini: A.N. Sakkoulas 1994.*
• Aebi, M.F. et al. (2010). European Sourcebook of Crime and Criminal Justice Statistics, 2nd edn. den Haag: WODC (http://wp.unil.ch/ europeansourcebook/printed-editions-2/).
• Arfaras, A. (2015, May). Correctional officers. Professional socialization and their role to prison policy in Greece. Athens: Nomiki Vivliothiki .*
• Aebi, M.F. et al. (2014). European Sourcebook of Crime and Criminal Justice Statistics, 5th edn. Helsinki: HEUNI (http://www.heuni.fi/ en/index/tiedotteet/2014/09/europeansou rcebookofcrimeandcriminaljusticestatistics2 014published.html).
• Barbour, C. & Wright, G.C. (2013). Keeping the Republic: Power and citizenship in American politics: The essentials, 7th edn. Thousand Oaks, CA: College Publishing Group, Sage.
• Aloskofis, W. (2005). Social and criminal
• CEDAW/C/GRC/Q/7/Add.1 (2012, November, 21). Replies of Greece to the list of
Women behind bars in Greece
issues to be taken up in connection with the by the CPT from 19-27.1.2011. Strasbourg, consideration of its seventh periodic report. • CEDAW/UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women. CEDAW/C/GRC/CO/7 (2013, March 1). Concluding observations on the seventh periodic report of Greece adopted by the Committee at its fifty fourth session (11
2012, January, 10.
• Division of Parliamentary Control /
February – 1 March 2013).
• Cheliotis, L. (2006). Demystifying risk
• DivisionofParliamentaryControl/Department of Questions. Answer of the Ministry of Justice with Protocol No 1076/24.12.2013 to the question submitted by of MP Vassilis Kapernaros, 4464/537/02.12.2013 (http:// www.osye.org.gr/arxeiadb/diav_apantisi_ ipoyrgoy1_pdf_99adfcaf802673f9bddaad615 19a92da.pdf).*
management: A process evaluation of the prisoners’ home leave scheme in Greece. Criminology and Criminal Justice 6(2), 163–195.
• Cheliotis, L. (2012). Suffering at the hands of the state: Conditions of imprisonment and prisoner health in contemporary Greece. European Journal of Criminology 9(1), 3-24.
• EEE/Association of Greek Prosecutors (2013, October 21). Announcement (http:www. enosieisaggeleon.gr/).*
• CPT/Inf (2000)13. 10th General Report on the CPT's activities covering the period 1.1- 31.12.1999. Strasbourg, 2000, August 18 (all reports can be retrieved from: http://www. cpt.coe.int/en/states/grc.htm).
• EJN/European Judicial Network in civil and commercial matters, European Commission (2005, 2007). Legal aid – Greece (http:// ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/legal_aid/legal_ aid_gre_en.htm; https://e-justice.europa.eu/ content_legal_aid-55-en.do).*
• CPT/Inf (2006)41. Report to the Government of Greece on the visit to Greece carried out by the CPT from 27.8.-9.9.2005. Strasbourg, 2006, December 20.
• ELSTAT /Hellenic Statistical Authority (2013, August 23). Press release * (all press releases can be retrieved from: http://www.statistics. gr/portal/page/portal/ESYE).
• CPT/Inf (2008)3. Report to the Government of Greece on the visit to Greece carried out by the CPT from 20-27.2.2007. Strasbourg, 2008,February8.
• ELSTAT (2014). Greece in figures. Pireaus: ELSTAT (http://www.statistics. gr/documents/20181/1389067/ GREECE_IN_FIGURES_2014_EN.pdf).
• CPT/Inf (2008)4. Response of the Government of Greece to the report of the CPT on its visit to Greece from 20-27.2.2007. Strasbourg, 2008, February 8.
• ELSTAT (2015, March 12). Press release.*
• ELSTAT. Justice Statistics (http://www.
• CPT/Inf (2009)20. Report to the Government of Greece on the visit to Greece carried out by the CPT from 23-29.9.2008. Strasbourg, 2009, June 30.
• ELSTAT. Justice Statistics (Digital Archive).
• CPT/Inf (2010)33, Report to the Government of Greece on the visit to Greece carried out by the CPT from 17-29.9.2009 Strasbourg, 17 November 2010.
1960, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1996, Athens: ESYE (http:// dlib.statistics.gr/portal/page/portal/ ESYE/categoryyears?p_cat=10007927&p_ topic=10007927).*
• CPT/Inf (2012)1. Report to the Government of Greece on the visit to Greece carried out
• EPANODOS (2013). Follow up report 2011. Athens.*
Department of Questions. Answer of the Ministry of Justice with Protocol No 19/2.11.2007 to the question submitted by of MP John Skoulas.*
• EPANODOS (2013). Useful information guide: After release. Athens.*
ISSN 1794-600X Número 12 Enero - Junio de 2017
• Eurostat, European Commission (2008, March 12). Statistics in Focus, Crime and criminal justice 19/2008, Tavares, C. & Thomas, G. Luxembourg: European Communities (all reports can be retrieved from: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/ crime/publications).
to the Oslo HERCA plenary meeting (http:// www.herca.org/documents/Fact_figures_ Body_scanners.pdf).
• Eurostat, European Commission (2009, May 29). Statistics in Focus, Crime and criminal justice 36/2009, Tavares, C. & Thomas, G. Luxembourg: European Communities.
• Hood, R. (2009, April 13). Prison security extends beyond concrete walls and steel bars (http://www.corrections.com/ articles/21031-prison-security-extends- beyond-concrete-walls-and-steel-bars).
• Eurostat, European Commission (2012, January 18). Statistics in Focus, Crime and criminal justice 6/2012, Tavares, C., Thomas, G. & Bulut, F. Luxembourg: European Communities.
• ICPS/International Centre for Prison Studies. World Prison Brief (http://www. prisonstudies.org/country/greece).
• Eurostat, European Commission (2013, August 1). Statistics in Focus, Crime and criminal justice 18/2013, Clarke, S. Luxembourg: European Communities.
• K.K.G.E.TH./Women’s Prison, Eleonas-Thiva, E-newspaper (http://kkgeth.blogspot.gr/).*
• Eurostat (December 2014, June 2016, June 2017). National accounts, GDP per capita in PPS (http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/ national-accounts/data/main-tables).
• Kelidou, O. (2011). Education as reintegration policy of released adult prisoners, MA Thesis. Athens: National Centre of Public Administration (http://www.ekdd.gr/ekdda/ files/ergasies_esdd/21/13/1572.pdf).*
• Eurostat (2015, June 27). Statistics explained ̶ Crime statistics (http://ec.europa.eu/ eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/ Crime_statistics) (2015b).
• Koulouris, N.K. & Aloskofis, W. (2013, September). Prison conditions in Greece. European Prison Observatory: Detention conditions in the European Union. Rome: Antigone Edizioni (http:// www.prisonobservatory.org/index. php?option=com_content&view=article&id= 14&Itemid=118).
• Fronimou, E. (2000). Women and prison: Aspects of the Greek reality. Daskalaki, I. et al. (eds), Criminals and victims on the threshold of the 21st century. Tribute to the memory of Elias Daskalakis. Athens: EKKE, 367-373.
• Lambropoulou, E. (2008). Correctional policy in Greece: law in action. Tak, P. & Jendly, M. (eds), Prison policy and prisoners’ rights. The protection of prisoners’ fundamental rights in international and domestic law. International Penal and Penitentiary Foundation, Nijmegen: Wolf Legal Publishers, 391-406.
• FRONTEX (2015, May). Western Balkans, Annual Risk Analysis. Warsaw: FRONTEX (http://frontex.europa.eu/publications/).
• GIPA/General Inspector of Public Administration (2013, July). Annual report 2012. Athens (http:// www.gedd.gr/article_data/Linked_files/105/ EktheshGEDD2012.pdf).*
• Lambropoulou, E. (2012). Pre-Trial Detention in Greece: the Achilles heel of the prison system. van Kempen, P.H. (ed.), Pre-trial detention, Human rights, criminal procedural law and penitentiary law, comparative law. International Penal and Penitentiary Foundation, Cambridge, Antwerp, Portland:
• HERCA/Heads of the European Radiological protection competent Authorities, Working Group 2 (2010, June 30). Facts and figures concerning the use of Full body scanners using X-Rays for security reason, presentation
• IOM/International Organization for Migration-Greece (http://greece.iom.int/ iom-greece).
• KETHEA (2007). Annual report 2006. Athens: KETHEA.*
Women behind bars in Greece
• Milioni, F. (2009). Criminology and gender.
for the revocation or replacement of his remand?’ Consultation. Armenopoulos 58, 305-311.*
Special issues. Courakis, N. (ed.), Gender Crime: Criminal and criminological approach to sex, 2nd edn. Athens, Komotini: A.N. Sakkoulas, 459-622.*
• Penal Reform International (2013). UN Bangkok Rules on women offenders and prisoners, Short guide (http://www. penalreform.org/resource/united-nations- bangkok-rules-women-offenders-prisoners- short/).
• Ministry of Justice, Table online (2003- 2015). (http://www.ministryofjustice. gr/site/en/PenitentiarySystem/ Statisticaldataondetainees.aspx)*
• Pittman, E. (2011, April 27). County jails deploy whole-body scanners to detect hidden weapons or contraband. Government Technology (http://www.govtech.com/ public-safety/County-Jails-Deploy-Whole- Body-Scanners.html).
• Ministry of Justice (2014, January-March). Unpublished data. Athens. *
• Mitrossyli, M. & Fronimou, E. (2006, December). Social and professional reintegration of specific population groups: The case of female prisoners. Institute of Social Policy, National Centre for Social Research, Athens: EKKE.*
• Prison Employees’ Union of Alikarnassos/ Crete (2014, February 23) (http://eyfah1984. blogspot.gr/).*
• Mylonas, I. (2001). The ECtHR Decision 'Telfner v. Austria' on 20.3.2001. Poinikos Logos 1 (2), 705-708.*
• Psaraki, G. (2011, February 11). Report on 2010 Activities of Women’s Prison at Thiva, Eleonas. Athens: Ministry of Justice (http://sociologyalert. blogspot.gr/2011/03/2010.html).*
• Naftemporiki (2013, October 17). Praise from the Minister of Justice to the young males at the Juvenile Institution of Avlona for their success on the higher education examinations (http:// www.naftemporiki.gr/story/717177/eusima- upourgou-dikaiosunis-se-kratoumenous-ton- fulakon-anilikon-aulona-gia-tin-eisagogi-tous-se- aei-tei).*
• Spinellis, D. & Spinellis, C.D. (1999). Greece: Criminal justice systems in Europe and North America. Helsinki: HEUNI.
• Ombudsman (2009, February 18). Isolation and control practices of incoming prisoners, detainees or convicted for violations of drug legislation. Memo to the watchdog party committee of the Parliament for the prison system and the living conditions of prisoners (http://www.synigoros.gr/resources/ docs/199828.pdf).*
• Thanopoulou, M. & Moschovou, V. (1998). Education and training of released prisoners and juvenile offenders: Research into training programmes. Athens: General Secretariat for Adult Education.*
• OSYE (Federation of Correctional Officers in Greece). Announcement 20.01.2014b,
16.01.2014a, Protocol No 14; Releases, 25.10.2013, Protocol No 253; 13.12.2013, Protocol No 312 (http://www.osye.gr).*
• Trading Economics (1990-2017). Greece, GDP per capita PPP (http://www. tradingeconomics.com/greece/gdp-per- capita-ppp). US Department of State- Under Secretary for Democracy and Global Affairs - Bureau of Democracy, Human
22; Information Note
• Papadamakis, A. (2004). Is it necessary for the accused to be detained in order to apply
• Thanopoulou, M., Fronimou, E. & Tsilimingaki, V. (1997). Women pending release: The right of reintegration into the work force. Athens, Komotini: A.N. Sakkoulas.*
• The Lawyer’s Tribune/To vima tou
Lawyers’ news, 8 (77), 10 (http:// documents.scribd.com.s3.amazonaws.com/ docs/5yaup2ekhs1obbvc.pdf).*
Rights, and Labor (2014, February 6). 2013 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices - Greece (http://www.state.gov/j/ • drl/rls/hrrpt/humanrightsreport/index. htm?year=2013&dlid=220284).
of Domokos prison to unit type C. Athens: GG Β1525.
MD 103920/28.07.2009. Partial Conversion of Grevena Detention Facility from A to C type. Athens: GG B1544.
• Watson, P.J. (2012, January 13). DHS to X-Ray • scan Americans at border checkpoints. Use of technology to be expanded despite warnings that devices cause cancer. Alex Jone’s Prison • Planet (http://www.prisonplanet.com/ dhs-to-x-ray-scan-americans-at-border- checkpoints.html). •
MD 65116/01.08.2014. Convert of the General Detention Facility of Domokos from B to C type. Athens: GG B2198.
MD 88741/23.12.2014. Internal Regulation of Detention Establishments and self-contained C Units. Athens: GG B3455.
• Y.E.F.K.K/Service of External Prison Guards. Claims framework 2013 (http://www.osye. org.gr/Dplaisio.php).*
PD/Presidential Decree 148/10.08.2007. Codification of national legislation on drugs, Athens: GG A191.
PD 141/30.04.1991. Competencies and administrative actions of the personnel of the Ministry of Public Order and issues referring to the organization of the service. Athens: GG A58.
• MD/Ministerial Decree 58819/07.04.2003. Internal Regulation of General Detention Establishments Type A and B. Athens: Government’s Gazette/GG B463.
• MD 98257/27.07.2009. Transform of a part
• PD 300/05.11.2003. Establishment and operation of private legal entity with the name EPANODOS (re: Aftercare). Athens: GG Α256.